Code of Ethics
The following Code of Ethics applies to the Officers and members of the International Association of Laryngectomees’ Board of Directors, the Executive Director and all other employees. We recognize the importance of codifying and making known to the organizations, businesses and medical professionals as well as to the general public, the ethical principles that guide the work of the IAL.
Ethical dilemmas occur when values are in conflict. The International Association of Laryngectomees’ Code of Ethics states the values to which we are committed, and embodies the ethical responsibilities of the Officers, Board of Directors, its Executive Director, and its employees.
We significantly influence or control the selection, organization, preservation, and dissemination of information. In a political system grounded in an informed citizenry, we are members of a volunteer organization explicitly committed to the rehabilitation of laryngectomees internationally. We have a special obligation to ensure the free flow of information to these survivors.
The principles of this Code are expressed in broad statements to guide ethical decision-making. These statements provide a framework; they cannot and do not dictate conduct to all or for any particular situation.
Therefore we strive to:
- Avoid conflicts of interest, real or perceived.
- Refrain from engaging in any activity with others that may compromise one’s integrity or damage the Board of Directors or the Executive Director’s, credibility.
- Decline personal gifts, favors, fees, free travel and special treatment from any individual, business, sponsor, or organization which may be construed as an intention to influence the judgment of the Executive Director, Board Member or other Officer or Employee of the IAL.
- Expose any unethical practices or behaviors by the Executive Director, Officer, or member of the Board of Directors, or any other employee, that actually has, or may potentially have caused embarrassment to the IAL, the Voice Institute or the IAL’s member clubs.
We, the Officers, Executive Director, members of the Board of Directors, and employees of the International Association of Laryngectomees, do hereby swear and affirm that we shall:
- Provide the highest level of service to all laryngectomees and their caregivers through appropriate and usefully organized resources; equitable service policies; equitable access; and accurate, unbiased, and courteous responses to all requests.
- Uphold the principles of intellectual freedom and resist all efforts to censor any resources that can be given to them.
- Protect each laryngectomee’s right to privacy and confidentiality with respect to information sought or received and resources consulted, borrowed, acquired or transmitted.
- Recognize and respect intellectual property rights.
- Treat everyone with respect, fairness and good faith, and advocate conditions that safeguard the rights and welfare of all.
- Not advance private interests at the expense of colleagues, or our employing institutions.
- Distinguish between our personal convictions and professional duties, and do not allow our personal beliefs to interfere with fair representation of the aims of our institutions or the provision of access to their information resources.
- Strive for excellence in the advancement of the goals of the IAL by maintaining and enhancing our own knowledge and skills, by encouraging the professional development of volunteers, and by fostering the aspirations of potential members of the profession.